I always have carrots in the fridge. Well, almost always. They keep practically forever, my boys love them, they’re a perfect snack, and the crunch is rather satisfying. They get a little boring sometimes though, and when I ran across this super-quick Carrot Salad over on Catherine Newman’s blog awhile back, I was hooked! Salty and sweet is a favorite combination, and did I mention it’s fast?
- ¾ pound carrots (3 large)
- Juice of half a lime plus a few gratings of its peel
- A handful of salted, roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- A handful of fresh mint (or cilantro, parsley, or celery leaves) chopped
- Dash of Asian fish sauce or tamari (optional)
Wash or peel the carrots, and then grate them. Stir in the remaining ingredients, then taste it: the salad should be tangy, sweet, and salty, and if it’s not, you might want to add more lime, honey, or salt accordingly.
I prefer this to the mayo-based carrot-raisin salad my mom used to make, which was good but missing the tang. This gives me my daily citrus fix I guess! Enjoy, and thanks Catherine!