It’s that time of year where the evenings are still sometimes chilly, and a warm dessert is in order. Not to mention that apples are about the only fruit that’s still available (locally grown) at this time of year! My friend Amie of The Healthy Apple has put together some delicious looking kid-friendly snacks for us, and the first one I’m sharing with you is her Gluten-Free Apple Crisp. Looks yummy, doesn’t it?
Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/6 tsp cloves
- 7 cups apples, peeled and sliced into ½ inch thin slices
Crisp Topping Ingredients:
- ½ cup cashews, ground
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Optional Topping: Greek plain yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Prepare a baking dish with nonstick baking spray (or butter).
3. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl; mix well.
4. Pour dry mix over apples while mixing, until apples are just covered.
5. Spread apple mixture evenly in pan, pouring any leftover dry mix over the top.
6. In a separate bowl, combine ground nuts and oil; mix well. Spread nut mixture over apples.
7. Drizzle with honey.
8. Cover with foil; place into the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Safely remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
9. Remove from oven; set aside to cool before serving.
10. Serve with Greek plain yogurt.
Thanks Amie, can’t wait to try it this weekend!
Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP is a Manhattan based Culinary Marketing Consultant specializing in Gluten Free and Dairy Free Culinary Nutrition.
Amie shares her passion for and approach to ‘Clean Eating’ by focusing on natural, whole foods and ingredients that are good for you and your body. Through The Healthy Apple, Amie provides balanced, accessible and engaging information on the most basic components of good health.