I’ve been watching a lot of movies lately, thanks to my husband’s penchant for bringing home three 3-day rentals at a time. Does he really think I have time to watch a movie three nights in a row?! Anyhow, movies and popcorn do go together, and this sweet version looks utterly delish. A sweet treat to be savored for sure! The recipe is thanks to Amie of The Healthy Apple again, thanks Amie!
Homemade Caramel Corn
- 3 quarts freshly popped popcorn
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1 stick Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, ground
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
2. Place popped popcorn in a large roasting pan. Set aside.
3. In a large pan over medium heat, melt agave nectar and Earth Balance butter; bring to a soft boil and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stir in almond extract and baking soda.
4. Remove from heat. Gently pour hot mixture over popped popcorn in large roasting pan; toss to combine. Add ground hazelnuts; continue to gently toss. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and grated orange peel.
5. Place into the oven for 45 -50 minutes; mixing every 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven; set aside to cool before serving. Unless you can’t wait and want burnt fingers :).
Amie Valpone, HHC, AADP is a Manhattan based Culinary Marketing Consultant specializing in Gluten Free and Dairy Free Culinary Nutrition.
Amie shares her passion for and approach to ‘Clean Eating’ by focusing on natural, whole foods and ingredients that are good for you and your body. Through The Healthy Apple, Amie provides balanced, accessible and engaging information on the most basic components of good health.